The SJI Crest
The present crest of St. Joseph’s Institution was introduced in 1950.
It was designed by Mr Richard Walker, the then Art Supervisor of the Education Department.
The green field of the crest (Pantone 336C) is divided into four quadrants by a white cross, the symbol of the Christian faith. In the centre of the cross lies the logo of the Brothers, a five-pointed star, the Signum Fidei , the Sign of Faith. It has as its origin the Star of Bethlehem which led the Magi (wise men of the East) to the birth of Christ. In fact, Signum Fidei is the motto of the Brothers of the Christian Schools founded by St John Baptist de La Salle. It reminds all Josephians to centre their lives on faith and to reach always for the reachable star of their convictions and ideals.
In the top left quadrant are three interlocking circles, symbolising games and the sporting spirit of all Josephians.
In the top right quadrant is the lamp of knowledge on a book, which is a symbol for learning.
The Lion at the bottom left quadrant represents the courage and determination with which Josephians face the many challenges of life. It also reminds us that our school, the flagship of the Lasallian enterprise in Asia, was established in Singapore, the Lion City, in 1852.
At the bottom right quadrant of the crest is the monogram of the school - SJI.
The crown surmounting the crest symbolises victory - the victory of faith over the forces of evil. It also reminds us that St Joseph’s Institution was founded in the days when Singapore was still a British Colony. The Latin motto of the school, Ora et Labora (Pray and Work), is inscribed on the scroll at the bottom of the crest.